Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rappers Love Ballers

Basketball references in Rap songs. We've all heard em'. Some of them are good, others confuse the hell out of you. I decided to go ahead and list a few of the basketball related lines I've heard, along with my interpretations for said lines.


Kanye West - Swagger Like Us

"Trying to get that Kobe number, one over Jordan"

Kobe: 24 Jordan: 23

Olympic numbers

Kobe: 10 Jordan: 9



Kayne West must be implying that he's aiming for being one up on the greatest. Although Kobe
may have one up on Jordans jersey number, Jordan pretty much has him beat in everything Basketball related. So does that mean Kayne is aiming to be a wanna-be #1? Or what? He lost me with that line.


Lil Wayne- Swagger Like Us

"And my jewelz blue and yellow
Type of shit that make em call you Carmello"


Apparently Lil Wayne has a thing for Aquamarine and Topaz. So much so that it must appear as if he's wearing a Nuggets jersey as he rocks them stones.


Three 6 Mafia - ridin spinners

"You see my kin folks, cars, and glisten
Ain't nothin' like Sprewells cause they spinnin'"

Mr. Crunchy Blacks cars AIN'T NOTHIN like Sprewell sneakers! They actually spin! Sprewells
don't spin. They strangle.

Lil Wayne- Dough is what I got

"And when it comes down to this recording
I must be Lebron James if he's Jordan
No, I want rings for my performance
I'm more Kobe Bryant of an artist
Same coach, same game, been starting
...Same triangle offense
I come through the lane like dargent
Refree niggaz is lame they call charging
I have no brain I'm retarded"

when it comes to recording Lil Wayne is Lebron (the next great thing) if he (who?) is Jordan (widely thought of as G.O.A.T) But then Lil Wayne realizes he wants rings for his performance. Kobe has three rings and is just as great as Lebron, so Wayne turns into Kobe. Wayne's been sticking with the same coaches doing the same triangle offense since the get go. Uh oh, lil Wayne got called for charging (???). The refs are lame, yo'. He has no brain, he's retarded. Yup, I have no clue whats going on here.

Trife- Biscuits

"I'm from a place where chunkheads and zombies dwell/And niggaz keep they heat blazin' like Bonzi Wells"

So basically the people from Trife's neighborhood keep their glocks hot . Similar to what Bonzi's style as a JailBlazer.

The Game- My Life

"Got a Chris Paul mind state, I’m never out of bounds."

The game is never out of bounds, just like Chris Paul. And Deron Williams. And Steve Nash. And Darko Milicic. Seriously, who the hell is ever out of bounds? You have to "have no brain and be retarded" to be constantly suffering from being out of bounds. Or maybe he means hes always pulling down rebounds? In which case I say he should have gone with a Dwight Howard state of mind. 5 rebounds per game just doesn't cut it man.

No comments: